Saturday, October 18, 2014

Chopped Greek Salad

Moving at a young age can be different for everyone.  For me, I thought I was leaving my whole world behind - my friends, the home I grew up in, my school.
But then, I joined a soccer team, and met some wonderful people that became great friends, and one of those people, Aries, became my best friend.

She is kind-hearted, beautiful, and - Greek!  Almost every weekend we would hangout, sing at the top of our lungs, and her parents would make the most delicious dinners.  Remembering one dinner in particular, inspired me for this recipe.  They made the BEST Greek salad.

So this post is in honor of my friend Aries, and her wonderful parents.



I got together what I remembered for the salad itself - lettuce, feta cheese, olives, etc.
But, then I remembered I had no idea how to make a home-made dressing!  I did NOT want to use store-bought.


For some reason I thought of my Mom and how she always cut out recipes from magazines and kept them in her recipe box, and I just had the urge to go through it. And guess what, guys?  I found a greek dressing recipe in there from 1997.  It is super simple - some red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt/pepper, garlic powder, and dill/oregano.  I switched it up a little, but not much, so it will be my version below.

Let's discover the culinary happiness.



Food, in the end, in our own tradition, is something holy.  It's not about nutrients and calories.  It's about sharing.  It's about honesty.  It's about identity.

- Louise Fresco



No comments:

Post a Comment