Monday, September 22, 2014

OOEY GOOEY FUDGEY LOVEY HOMEMADE BROWNIES


I think my favorite thing about having Adam as my hubs, is the fact that I can make anything and he will eat it - ALL OF IT.  So, on the bright side, in my fitness journey, I won't feel as bad, because Adam eats most of it, before I get a chance to.  This is not a healthy post, guys.  I repeat -

THIS IS NOT A HEALTHY POST - BUT IT IS OH SO GOOD, IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.


I was inspired by today's blog post, because Adam is sick...sad face, I know.  But, when he is feeling really sick, I know that what makes him happy - my baking.  So, in honor of my Granny, I tried to remember her brownie recipe that she had in her cookbook, oh so long ago, when I would spend my summers at my grandparents house in Maine, with my foot stool, on my tip-toes, hovered over her mixing bowl, so intrigued by the magic she was concocting.


Grab your apron, slap a little flour on your ass or have your lover do it for you (wink wink), and lets get down to baking.



OOEY GOOEY FUDGEY LOVEY HOMEMADE BROWNIES

Ingredients:
           
            Brownies –

-       2 sticks unsalted butter
-       8 ounces, semi-sweet chocolate (2 boxes Bakers Chocolate) – chop it up
-       1 ¼ cup all purpose flour – sifted
-       2 Tbls unsweetened cocoa powder – sifted
-       1 tsp salt
-       2 cups sugar, divided
-       2 Tbls brown sugar
-       1 tsp vanilla
-       4 large eggs – room temperature
-       Chocolate chips - optional

            Chocolate Frosting –

-       3 cups powdered sugar
-       ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
-       ¼ cup unsalted butter – room temperature
-       ¼ cup milk – room temperature
-       ½ tsp vanilla

Directions:

1)   Melt the butter and chocolate together in your double boiler, medium heat. (Or a pot with water in it with a stove proof bowl on top) Make sure that the water does not touch the bottom.  I did one stick of butter with one box of chocolate. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
2)   Line your pan (I used a 9x9) with aluminum foil – covering all sides.  Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
3)   In a medium bowl, add the sifted flour, cocoa powder, and salt.  This makes for a fluffier batter.
4)   Whisk 1 cup of the sugar, and vanilla into the chocolate/butter mixture until the sugar is dissolved. (About 30-45 seconds)
5)   In another bowl, add your remaining sugar, and the 4 room temperature eggs, use an electric mixer to blend together. 
6)   Pour half of the egg mixture into the chocolate/butter mixture and whisk constantly.  When whisking constantly – this prevents the eggs from setting because of the heat. (Basically, this means it turning into scrambled eggs)
7)   Back to your bowl of the other half of the egg mixture – whip on high for about 3 minutes, until it is thick, doubled in volume and pale. (See in photos)
8)   Pour chocolate mixture into the whipped eggs and fold together. When the eggs are almost in completely incorporated, gently fold in the dry ingredients (I added it in thirds)
9)   Pour the batter into the prepared pan.  Bake for 35-40 minutes.  Stick a toothpick in there and when it comes out with a few crumbs, you are good to go.  If you need to – wiggle the toothpick around in order to see inside to make sure it didn’t look like soup.
10) When done – cool on rack.  After cool, frost with frosting (optional)

For the Frosting:

1.     Sift together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder (if you don’t have a sifter – you can add it to the bowl and use a whisk – it works the same)
2.     In a separate bowl beat your butter until creamy (about 2 min).
3.     Alternately add your milk/vanilla* and the dry ingredients.   Once incorporated, beat on high for 2 minutes.

* Pre-mix your milk and vanilla

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!? GO MAKE 'EM!

But, first - if you love these, try some of these out:

Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramallows

Sea Salt Chocolate Chip Cookies


No comments:

Post a Comment