Tuesday, August 20, 2013

REVIEW - Zesty Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad

HAPPY HUMP DAY Y'ALL!


What day is it?? Hump Day! Psstttt, what day is it? HUMP DAY!  

Alright, you guys, I hope that put a smile on your face!  Well, as I told you I am posting more often, with a lot more happiness, a lot more random things, a lot more messes that need to be blessed in this beautiful thing we call life!

Yesterday evening, I came across a fabulous recipe that I knew that would be a hit at home.  Having a place to your own, bills to pay, necessities to purchase, and only cooking for two, so we are not trying to spend a lot of money, or have any food go to waste. I know A LOT of you are the same way!  SAVE MONEY!  

So, reviewing this recipe that Gina's Skinny Recipes provided, I took some of the ingredients (which is a very short list as it is) and make it cheaper for those of us, who can't always get the freshest, most expensive ingredients.

This salad, is very delicate, and fresh, and I like to think of it as a good Summer Salad.  The fact that it has very few (healthy and delicious) ingredients, makes this tasty summer entree's prep, very easy.  Alright, y'all I am going to get a goin' with the recipe and my thoughts in ORANGE!

Zesty Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad

Servings: 4  *Servings: 2.5 (Adam ate a little more than half and I ate the rest)

  • 1 lb jumbo cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined, chopped* (price can range from $10 to $15) Also, take into consideration that when you buy the jumbo, not pre-everything, you need to add time to your prep.  I bought a bag of pre-cooked, peeled, deveined, shrimp.  I didn't buy JUMBO, but it wasn't the end of the world and I preferred the smaller shrimp.  ($5)  Also, take into consideration that when you buy the jumbo, not pre-everything, you need to add time to your prep.
  • 1 medium tomato, diced - Adam and I do not like, what we call "boogers" in the tomatoes, so I just diced up the tomato, cut out the boogers and still had a very large amount!
  • 1 hass avocado, diced - I dont know what type of avocado I purchased, but it was $0.68 cents.
  • 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, diced fine - this cost about $0.28 cents/per jalapeño
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 2 limes, juice of - I didn't have fresh limes, but I always keep lime juice in the fridge!  It is 2 Tbls per lime, equalling a total of 4 Tbls for this recipe.
  • 1 tsp olive oil 
  • 1 tbsp chopped cilantro - This recipe calls for fresh cilantro, which can range from $3 to $5 per 16 grams, and fresh cilantro can go bad if not properly taken care of.  So, I just used the cilantro from my spice rack that Adam and I got as a gift for the wedding.
  • salt and fresh pepper to taste - literally a pinch was perfect!

  1. In a small bowl combine red onion, lime juice, olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper. Let them marinate at least 5 minutes to mellow the flavor of the onion. - I stirred these ingredient a couple times while it marinated!  I did let it marinate for 5 minutes, but I do wish that I let it marinate longer.
  2. In a large bowl combine chopped shrimp, avocado, tomato, jalapeño. Combine all the ingredients together, add cilantro and gently toss. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. - The first two pictures is what my Zesty Salad  looked like, and below it is the picture from the website.

In the mixing bowl, before serving!

Dinner is served!


This is Gina's picture from the website.

All in all, this was a wonderful recipe!  Nothing was off taste, everything was great and I was a very pleased cook, and consumer!  This tasty treat will be a familiar meal in your home, and it can be transformed into many different types of meals, snacks, and more!  As you know, this first time, we ate it just plain, as a salad, but when Adam was half way through, his creative self got up, opened the cupboard, got out the tortilla wraps, and put it in that, and LOVED it! Then, he said he thought it would be a tastier, bigger entree, on top of some quinoa!

Hope you all make this soon!

Stay healthy, stay beautiful!  And you ALL are beautiful!



XOXO,

Cassie


No comments:

Post a Comment